Whether you want to honor Brazilian culture or you’re just curious about our traditions, this extensive list of Brazilian boys’ names is pretty complete as it has the most popular names with their meanings.
Brazilian male names with meanings
Names are part of a country’s culture. That’s a fact. And in the pursuit to show the world a little more about Brazilian culture, I decided to put together this list with the most famous Brazilian boy names.
Usually, the names of a particular country tell a lot about its influences and beliefs.
In our case, most Brazilian names for boys (even surnames) come from Portugal, Italy, and Latin American countries.
Beyond that, most of our boy names come from several different religions, and as you might know, Brazilian people are known for being believers. Obviously, I can’t stereotype the whole nation, but the majority follow a religion.
Oh, and gender-neutral names are not popular in Brazil, as least, I can’t think of any.
In today’s article, I will share with you the 10 most popular baby boy’s names in Brazil as well as a massive list with other Brazilian names for boys that come up quite often.
If you’re curious about more names, you might want to check the articles below:
- Most common Brazilian names (for boys and girls and last names)
- Brazilian girl names (with meanings)
- Brazilian last names
Most popular Brazilian boys’ names
According to IBGE (Brazilian Institute of Geography and Statistics), these are the most popular names:
Brazilian boy names with A
- Adriano– it is a Latin name that means the one who comes from Aria.
- Afonso– this baby boy’s name means the one who is ready to be noble and is the Portuguese variation of Alonzo.
- Alexandre– it means defensor of humanity.
- André– it means the manly one.
- Antônio– this baby name means invaluable.
- Arthur– it means big bear.
- Augusto– it is a Latin name that means sacred.
Brazilian boy names with B
- Benício– it means a blessed, good man.
- Benjamim– it means son of happiness.
- Bento– it is a variation of Benedito, and it means blessed.
- Breno– it is a Roman name, and it means noble or leader.
- Bernardo– this baby name means strong as a bear.
- Bruno– it is the male variation of Bruna, and it means to be tanned, brown, dark.
Brazilian boy names with C
- Caio– this male Brazilian name means happy.
- Carlos– it means warrior of people.
- Cauã(and variations, such as Kauã, Cauan, Kauan) – it is an Indigenous Brazilian name for boys, which means hawk. This is the name of a famous Brazilian celebrity, incredibly popular among women.
- César– it means the king with long hair.
- Cleiton– it means friendly and amicable.
- Claúdio– it means crippled and lame as this name originated from the Latin Claudius, through the word claudus, which means the same.
- Cristiano– it means a Christian man.
Brazilian boy names with D
- Damião– it means winner.
- Danilo– it means god is my judge.
- Davi– it means the loved one.
- Diego(and variations, such as Diogo) – it means the one who advises.
- Domingos– it is a holy name, and it means from God.
Brazilian boy names with E
- Edgar– it means the one who protects his wealth with a spear.
- Eduardo– it is the Portuguese variation of the English name Edward, and it means guardian of wealth.
- Edson– this name means son of Eduardo or son of the wealth’s guardian.
- Edvaldo– it means the one whose strength resides in wealth.
- Elias– it is a biblical name that means God is my lord.
- Emanuel– it is another biblical name, and it means God is with us.
- Enzo– this beautiful name means prince of home.
- Estevão – it means crowned man.
Brazilian boy names with F
- Fábio– it means fava planter.
- Felipe(and variations, such as Filipe) – it means friend of horses as in reference to someone who loves war.
- Fernando– it means fearless to achieve peace.
- Flávio– it means golden and blonde.
- Fabrício– it is a variation of the Italian name Fabrizio, and it means blacksmith.
- Francisco– it means the one who comes from France or the French guy.
Brazilian boy names with G
- Gabriel– this baby name means messenger of God.
- Gael– it means beautiful and generous.
- Geraldo– it means the lord of the spear.
- Guilherme– it means the brave protector.
- Gilberto– it means bright pledge.
- Giovanni(and variations, such as Geovani and Giovani) – it means mercy of God.
- Gustavo– this baby name means protected by God.
Brazilian boy names with H
The H is not pronounced at the beginning of words in Brazilian Portuguese.
- Heitor– it is a popular name in Spanish countries, and it means the one who protects.
- Henrique– this beautiful name means prince or lord of home.
- Hélio – this powerful name means sun.
- Horácio– it means the timekeeper.
Brazilian boy names with I
- Ian– it means God’s gift.
- Igor– this sweet name means farmer.
- Inácio– it means the fiery one.
- Isaque– this biblical name means son of happiness.
- Israel– it means God’s fighter.
- Ismael– it means God will hear.
- Isaías– this name means God is my salvation.
- Ivan– it means God is gracious.
Brazilian boy names with J
- José– it means the addition of the Lord or God multiplies.
- João– this male Brazilian name means graced by God, and it is often paired with another name, such as Pedro, Henrique, Vítor, Miguel, Paulo, Gabriel, and Carlos.
- Joaquim– it means established by God.
- Jorge– it means farmer.
- Juan– this name is popular in Spanish and Portuguese speaking countries from Mexico to Argentina, and it means graced by God–it’s a variation of João.
- Júlio– this baby boy’s name means the daughter of Jupiter.
- Junior– it means young son. It’s usually given to boys whose name is the same as their father, and it comes after the family surname, such as Neymar da Silva Junior.
Brazilian boy names with K
- Kaique– this Indigenous Brazilian name means water bird.
- Kauê – it is an Indigenous Brazilian name, and it means kind man.
- Kléber– this name comes from a profession, and it means the one who hangs the posters.
Brazilian boy names with L
- Leandro– it means lion-man.
- Leonardo– it means brave as a lion.
- Lourenço– it is the Portuguese variation of Lorenzo, and it means the one who comes from Laurentum.
- Luan– it means both lion and son of the moon.
- Luiz– it means famous warrior.
- Lucas(and variations, such as Lucca) – it means the man from Lucania, a region named with a word which meaning was bright.
- Luciano– it means born from the light.
- Lúcio – it means luminous.
Brazilian boy names with M
- Matheus– it is a biblical name, and it means God’s gift.
- Manuel– it means God is with us.
- Marcos– it means warrior from Mars, the god of war.
- Márcio– it has the same meaning as Marcos.
- Marcelo– it means small warrior.
- Miguel– it means who is like God?
- Murilo – it means small wall.
Brazilian boy names with N
- Naamã– it means pleasant.
- Nelson(and variations such as Nilson) – it means son of a champion.
- Neto– it literally means grandson in Brazilian Portuguese. It’s usually given to boys whose name is the same as their grandfather, and it comes after the family name, such as Felipe da Silva Neto.
- Nilton– it means new city. Nilton is new town’s phonetic translation.
- Norberto– it means famous man from the north.
- Nicolau– it means the one who leads the people to victory.
Brazilian boy names with O
- Octávio– it means eighth son.
- Otto– it means prosperous and wealthy.
- Oscar– it means spear of God.
- Orlando– it means glorious land.
- Osvaldo – it means strength of the gods.
- Omar– it means the one who has a long life.
Brazilian boy names with P
- Paulo – it means short man, and it is often paired with another name, such as Henrique, Victor, Ricardo, Roberto, Sérgio, and César.
- Paco– it means eagle and the one who comes from France.
- Pascoal(and variations, such as Pascal) – it means child of Easter.
- Pedro– it means rock, and it is often paired with another name, such as Henrique, Miguel, and Augusto.
Brazilian boy names with R
- Rafael– it means cured by God.
- Raimundo– it means wise protector.
- Ravi– it means sun.
- Reginaldo– it means the ruler’s advisor.
- Renato– it means reborn.
- Renan– it means friend and partner.
- Ricardo– it means brave prince.
- Roberto– it means famous and glorious.
- Rodolfo– it means famous wolf.
- Rogério– this baby name means glorious spear.
- Ronaldo– it is a Portuguese name, and it means ruler of judgment.
- Rodrigo– it means famous king.
- Rubens– it means red.
Brazilian boy names with S
- Salvador– it literally means savior in Brazilian Portuguese.
- Samuel– it means the name of God.
- Santiago– it is a linguist agglutination of Saint Iago or Saint Tiago.
- Saulo– it means the one who was prayed for.
- Sérgio– it means guardian and protector.
- Sebastião – it means sacred and venerable.
- Severino– it means a little severe.
Brazilian boy names with T
- Tadeu– this name of Hebrew origin means uncertain.
- Thales– it means to blossom.
- Thiago(and variations, such as Tiago) – it means holder of the heel.
- Theo– it means supreme God.
- Tomás– it means twin.
- Teodoro– it means God’s gift.
Brazilian boy names with U
- Ulísses– it means wounded in the thigh.
- Ubirajara– this Indigenous Brazilian name means lord of the spear.
- Ubiratan– this is another Indigenous Brazilian name, and it means strong spear.
Brazilian boy names with V
- Vicente– it means the one who wins.
- Valentim– it means courageous and strong.
- Vinícius– it means winemaker.
- Vitor– it means winner and victorious.
- Vanderlei– it means the one who comes from the slate land. It’s a phonetic translation from Van Der Lei, a Dutch last name.
Brazilian boy names with Y
- Yago– it means holder of the heel.
- Yan– it means God is gracious.
- Yuri– it means small farmer.
Brazilian boy names with Z
- Zion– it means the promised land.
- Zacarias– it means remembered by God.
- Zeca– it means the one who multiplies.
- Zenon– this name means the one who lives.
Other common boys names in Brazil
Common names for baby boys in Brazil
As mentioned earlier, most Brazilian names for boys come from some religion or have strong roots in Latin, Hebrew, and South European in general.
If you, for whatever reason, want to celebrate Brazilian culture or pay homage to our family values, giving you baby a Brazilian name is a beautiful way to do so.
Did you like these Brazilian baby names for boys? Then share it with a friend who might like it too!