This Brazilian sardine pie is easy to make and has a rich, salty flavor that you will fall in love with!
Not many Brazilian recipes call for sardine, but we still have quite a few canned sardine recipes, and this fish pie is my favorite by far.
It is not only a straightforward recipe, but it tastes nicely savory. To be honest, I haven’t had sardine pie since I was living with my mom – over 10 years ago -, so this is the first time I made it.
Because my mom couldn’t find her recipe book, I developed this recipe from the best of my memory, and it turned out exactly as I remember it.
Sardine pie tips
Here are some tips for preparing a delicious sardine pie. You can skip it to the recipe, but if you don’t cook sardine very often, these tips will come in handy!
Drain the sardines: For this recipe, I recommend you use canned sardine in oil. It can be sunflower or olive oil – whatever you prefer. You will want to remove the fish from the oil and clean it.
Clean the sardines: If you have boneless sardine in your pantry, you can skip this step. Otherwise, take a sardine in your hands and gently open it with your thumbs. You will see a thin and long bone along the fish’s body – remove it. Do it for all of them.
How to make a delicious Brazilian sardine fish pie
It’s easy peasy to make this pie! Simply follow the few steps below.
Preheat the oven to 356F/180C and grease a pie pan.
For that, a simple spritz with your favorite non-stick vegetable oil spray makes it easier to get that first slice of pie out of the pan. Set aside.
In a large bowl, mix well all the ingredients for the filling with a spoon. Set aside.
With a hand mixer, mix all the dough ingredients until incorporated and pour it onto the pie pan.
Next, pour the filling on top of the dough, bake it for 35 minutes, or golden brown.
Serve cold and enjoy it!
- 1 1/2 cups (375 milliliters) milk
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup (125 milliliters) sunflower oil
- 2 cups (300 grams) all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Salt to taste
- 2 cans (250 grams) sardine in oil, about 8 ounces
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1 cup (250 milliliters) tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup (90 grams) sweet corn
- 1/2 cup (75 grams) frozen peas
- A pinch of oregano, coriander, and parsley
- Salt and olives to taste, cubes - about 15 fruits
- Preheat the oven to 365F/180C and grease a pie pan. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix well all the ingredients for the filling with a spoon. Set aside.
- With a hand mixer, mix all the ingredients for the dough until incorporated and pour it onto the pie pan.
- Next, pour the filling on top of the dough and bake it for 35 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Serve cold and enjoy it!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 384Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 17gCholesterol: 106mgSodium: 486mgCarbohydrates: 34gFiber: 3gSugar: 3gProtein: 15g
Did you like this sardine pie? Then share it with a friend who might like it too!