Like limeade with an adult twist, caipiríssima is a sweet-tart rum cocktail that tastes great on a warm summer evening.
Caipiríssima is another variation of caipirinha, the most famous Brazilian cocktail by far.
While both mixed drinks are similar, caipiríssima is made with white rum instead of cachaça.
It’s not a massive difference in taste since both rum and cachaça are made from sugarcane.
Still, I added a personal touch to this caipiríssima recipe that it leaves a subtle caramel aftertaste.
Beyond that, caipiríssima is a delicious cocktail perfect for those who don’t have cachaça at home.
Caipiríssima pronunciation: kaee-pee-riss-eemah
Tips for making the perfect caipiríssima
- Cut the lime wedges like a mixologist! First, slice the top off of each end of the limes. Then cut the fruit in half, lengthwise, and set one of the halves side-down on your cutting board. Finally, slice it at an angle, lengthwise, and you should have a perfect little wedge.
- Cut it off! After cutting the lime wedges, you will want to remove the pith from the center to avoid a bitter taste in your drink.
- Chill! Not you, the glass! To have a nice and frosty glass, put your nude highball glass in the freezer for a couple of hours and remove it right before you pour the drink.
While this lime caipiríssima cocktail is delicious and refreshing, here are some other variations you could also try:
- Cherry caipiríssima with vanilla – a nice sweet touch
- Rasberry caipiríssima with lime juice
- Pineapple caipiríssima with coconut and mint – tropical cocktail!
- Passion fruit caipiríssima with mango – tropical drink with a Brazilian fruit!
How to make caipiríssima
Cut the limes into wedges and remove the pith to avoid a bitter taste. When cutting one of the limes, you can set aside a slice to garnish the glass.
Then, grate the desired amount of ginger in a cocktail shaker and place the wedges of one lime pulp up.
Now, cover them with brown sugar and muddle the lime smoothly to remove the juice without hurting the peel too much as it releases a bitter taste.
Add the remaining lime and muddle it again.
Add the white rum and ice to the shaker and shake it like a polaroid picture!
Pour the cocktail into a chilled nude highball glass and garnish with the remaining lime slice.
Cheers! Or as we say in Portuguese, saúde!
Did you like this recipe for caipiríssima? Then share it with friends who might also like it or save it to Pinterest.
- 3 fluid ounces (90 milliliters) white rum
- 2 limes, wedges
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- Fresh ginger, peeled and frozen
- Crushed ice or ice cubes
- Cut the limes into wedges. Set aside a lime slice to garnish the glass.
- Grate the desired amount of ginger in a cocktail shaker.
- Place the wedges of one lime, pulp up.
- Cover the lime with dark brown sugar and muddle it smoothly to remove the juice.
- Add the remaining lime and muddle it again.
- Add the white rum and ice to the shaker and shake it.
- Pour the cocktail into a chilled nude highball glass.
- Garnish with the remaining lime slice.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 217Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 7mgCarbohydrates: 25gFiber: 4gSugar: 13gProtein: 1g