This Brazilian mango passion fruit smoothie is the perfect breakfast or snack as it is easy to make, tastes incredibly good, and is packed with vitamins!
Brazilian mango passion fruit smoothie
Tropical fruit is a staple in most Brazilian breakfasts. Cheese bread, white bread, butter, and coffee also have a place on the table, but tropical fruits are a must.
While many Brazilians simply eat some fruit, my mom used to give us breakfast smoothies so that my sister and I would get more vitamins and fibers.
Today’s article is one of my mom’s smoothie recipes, and it combines passion fruit, fresh mango, coconut milk, lime juice, and honey.
The tartness of the passion fruit offsets the mango’s sweetness, and the fresh lime juice adds an extra element of brightness.
Put simply, it transports you to Brazil after the first sip! It’s incredibly fresh, has a nice balance of tart, sour, and sweet, and it delivers a punch of passion fruit flavor.
What fruit goes with passion fruit?
Passion fruit pairs well with tropical flavors, such as mango, papaya, orange, and watermelon.
I picked mango for today’s recipe because it is incredibly sweet (at least here in Brazil), citrusy, and has a lovely tropical aroma.
To top it off, I added coconut milk because it tastes creamy, and it is a bit thicker, making the smoothie creamier. You can also use almond milk instead, especially if you’re trying to cut back saturated fat.
Either way, this fruit smoothie is a delicious breakfast or snack packed with vitamins and summer vibes!
Other ingredients you might add
While this recipe is my mom’s original, you can always change it to your liking, of course. Here are a few ideas of what you could add:
- Agave syrup, stevia, sugar
- Greek yogurt, almond milk, soy milk
- Ripe banana, papaya
- Chia seeds, oats
Other drinks you might like
Tips for making a perfect passion fruit smoothie
- The fruit quantity below is in pulp grams/cups, not in fruit numbers. Since the fruit is expensive, many people don’t have access to the fresh fruit, and it varies significantly in size depending on the region, I realized weighing the passion fruit pulp is the easiest way for you to achieve the same results. For reference, 1 cup of passion fruit with seeds equals 1/2 cup of seedless pulp.
- Also, I use seedless and unsweetened pulp concentrate. If you have the ripe fruit on hand and wanna know how to remove the seeds, please refer to my recipe for passion fruit juice, where I have step-by-step instructions.
- Ripe passion fruit has a deep yellow or purple color—depending on your region—and the outer shell is wrinkled. It should be firm, not too soft, not too hard.
- Adjust the sweetener amount based on the mangoes’ natural sweetness and your personal preference, of course.
How to make mango passion fruit smoothie
Here’s a thorough step-by-step instruction on how to easily make a refreshing mango passion fruit smoothie. As always, the printable recipe is at the bottom.
In a blender/food processor/immersion blender, add the mango slices, passion fruit concentrate, coconut milk, lemon juice, and sweetener of your preference. I used honey because of its floral and fruity flavor.
If you want a slushy consistency, add ice cubes to the blender and crush until smooth.
Pour your mango passion fruit smoothie into mason jar cups and enjoy!
- 3.5 ounces (100 grams) fresh mango slices
- 3/4 cup (180 milliliters) passion fruit concentrate, unsweetened
- 3/4 cup (180 milliliters) coconut milk
- 4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons honey
- Ice as needed
- In a blender, add the mango slices, passion fruit concentrate, coconut milk, lemon juice, and honey.
- If you want a slushy consistency, add ice cubes to the blender and crush until smooth.
- Pour your mango passion fruit smoothie into mason jar cups and enjoy!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 385Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 16gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 38mgCarbohydrates: 59gFiber: 10gSugar: 43gProtein: 4g
Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on products used.
Did you like this passion fruit smoothie? Then share it with a friend who might like it too!