This passion fruit tea is a delicious combination of sweet-scented fruit and refreshing green tea. Namely, it is an iced tea packed with a distinctive tropical flavor and perfume, making it far from boring!
Iced passion fruit green tea recipe
While mate yerba is far more popular than other tea herbs in Brazil, this passion fruit iced tea is a delicious personal recipe that we adore here at home, and I couldn’t keep the recipe only to myself.
Passion fruit is one of the most famous Brazilian fruits, and we use it widely in desserts and other dishes as it has a refreshing quality.
After mango, this is my favorite fruit because of its lightness and tropical flavor. While sipping it, I closed my eyes, and I could easily imagine myself on a beautiful Brazilian beach. Put simply, it just makes the perfect iced tea for summer!
I paired the passion fruit flavor with green tea to have a soothing herbal taste, and the result, dear reader, is mouthwatering!
My husband isn’t fond of iced teas (weird guy, huh? Just kidding!), but he loved this one!
This passion fruit green tea tastes slightly vegetal, nutty, and packed with the passion fruit’s tropical flavor. It is light and far from boring. It is incredibly refreshing, and it is my favorite iced tea to date.
What is passion fruit tea good for?
Passion fruit iced tea is packed in nutrients and compounds that may improve your overall health, such as by boosting your metabolism, sourcing fiber, improving brain function, and burning fat. See more below.
Passion fruit green tea health benefits
Here are some of the benefits of your tropical iced tea:
- Rich in antioxidants – Both the passion fruit and green tea are rich in antioxidants that help to mop up harmful free radicals in the body.
- Good source of fiber – A single-fruit serving provides about 2 grams of fiber, which is quite a lot for such a small fruit.
- Packed with crucial nutrients – The fruit contains high levels of vitamins A and C and potassium, magnesium, calcium, and iron.
- Boosts the immune system – Because passion fruit is packed with vitamin C, which is a potent antioxidant, it increases the immune system improving the body’s ability to fight off infections.
- Improves brain function – The caffeine present in green tea is a stimulant component that improves the overall brain function, such as memory, mood, and performance.
- Increases fat burning – Many studies claim caffeine, and green tea boost the metabolic rate increasing fat burning.
- May help prevent type 2 diabetes – Both passion fruit and green tea can improve men’s insulin sensitivity, which can reduce the risk of several illnesses, including diabetes.[4,5]
Does passion fruit tea help you sleep?
Many people in Brazil believe passion fruit is good for anxiety, stress, and sleeping problems.
While passion fruit is rich in magnesium, an essential mineral linked with decreased stress and anxiety, further research is needed to make a definite claim.
Does passion fruit tea have caffeine?
Caffeine is not present in the pure herbal or passion fruit tea. However, this iced tea recipe has green tea, which is rich in this compound.
Mind you, if you for any reason want to use black tea instead, know that it has more caffeine than green tea.
Other passion fruit recipes you might like
Here’s some delicious passion fruit recipes for you:
Tips for making the perfect passion fruit tea
- Use good quality tea to achieve a rich sweet and vegetal flavor and fresh aroma. Personally, I love love love Twinings. Their teas are so tasty, strong, but far from bitter. I’m yet to buy a flavor I don’t like. At Amazon, they sell these packages of green tea, and I’m delighted with them.
- Because green tea leaves are slightly bitter, you will want to steep them for no more than 2 minutes. Any longer and you may lose the delicate taste.
- I will describe below how much of the fruit pulp you will need, not in fruit numbers as its size can differ significantly depending on the region you live in. This way, you can buy the unsweetened passion fruit concentrate or even the frozen passion fruit if that’s easier for you. If you have the fruit at home, you can refer to my passion fruit juice to see how I extract the juice from it.
- Add more sweetener according to your taste preference. For us, this amount of honey was perfect to balance out the tartness of the passion fruit without overpowering.
How to make a refreshing passion fruit tea
Here’s a thorough step-by-step instruction of how to make your iced passion fruit green tea using just a few ingredients. As always, the printable recipe is at the bottom of this article.
Bring two cups of water to boil.
Remove from the heat, add the green tea bags to the hot water, and let it steep for 2 minutes.
Remove the tea bags, add honey or sugar as desired, and stir well.
Pour it into a heat-proof pitcher and add the remaining two cups of cold water. Refrigerate it until cold.
In the meantime, mix the passion fruit concentrate and the lemonade.
Once the tea is cold, add the passion fruit mix to the pitcher. Stir well.
Fill the serving glasses with ice cubes and garnish with lemon slices or mint leaves.
Enjoy your delicious tea!
- Bring two cups of water to boil.
- Remove from the heat, add the green tea bags to the hot water, and let it steep for 2 minutes.
- Remove the tea bags, add honey or sugar as desired, and stir well.
- Pour it into a heat-proof pitcher and add the remaining two cups of cold water. Refrigerate it until cold.
- In the meantime, mix the passion fruit concentrate and the lemonade.
- Once the tea is cold, add the passion fruit mix to the pitcher. Stir well.
- Fill the serving glasses with ice cubes and garnish with lemon slices or mint leaves.
- Enjoy your delicious tea!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 147Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 24mgCarbohydrates: 38gFiber: 5gSugar: 32gProtein: 1g
Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on products used.
Did you like this passion fruit drink? Then share it with a friend who might like it too!